Cold Cucumber and Yogurt Soup (Khiyar bil Laban)
Serves 4 to 6
Preparation Time: 8 minutes
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
2 large cloves garlic
2 cups (500 ml) plain yogurt
1 medium English cucumber (or 4 Persian or Lebanese cucumbers), finely diced
1 tablespoon dried crushed mint
Water, to thin it out (optional)
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Mash the garlic with a garlic press or using a mortar and pestle.
2. Transfer the garlic to a large bowl and mix in the yogurt, cucumber, and mint.
3. Depending how thick the yogurt is and how you like your soup, at this point you can add water to thin it out to reach your desired consistency.
4. Taste and season with salt as desired.
5. Pour into a serving bowl and add the oil on top; serve chilled.
SERVING TIP: If you’re serving this at a BBQ, you can add a few ice cubes to keep it cold.
Recipe courtesy of Ilham Hashem; photo courtesy of Faith Gorsky, author of www.AnEdibleMosaic.com.