Garlic Mayonnaise (Toum or Toumieh)
2 cloves garlic, crushed in a mortar and pestle with ½ teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites or 1 large egg
1 cup (250 ml) oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cold water
1. Crush the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle until it forms a smooth paste.
2. Whisk together the garlic paste and egg until well blended.
3. Add the oil, drop-by-drop, while whisking (after you’ve added
1 tablespoon of oil drop-by-drop, you can add the oil a little
faster). Make sure the oil you add is fully incorporated before
adding any more.
4. Once you’ve added ½ cup (125 ml) oil, alternate between
gradually adding the oil and lemon juice and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
5. Add the cold water and mix until smooth and creamy.
Recipe courtesy of An Edible Mosaic: Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair by Faith Gorsky (Tuttle Publishing; Nov. 2012); reprinted with permission.