Preparation Time: 30 minutes, plus 2 to 24 hours for the chicken to marinate
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
3 tablespoons Hashems Chicken Shawarma Spice Mix
½ cup (125 ml) plain yogurt
1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
1½ teaspoons salt
2 lbs (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for sautéing
16 Pita Breads
1. Combine the Shawarma Spice Mix with the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, and salt in a large bowl. Add the chicken and
toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F and spread 1 tablespoon of oil on the inside of a large baking dish.
3. Scrape off any excess marinade from the chicken with your hands. Starting in the center of the oiled dish, arrange
the chicken so that it overlaps, and drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on top. Bake (uncovered) 1 hour
or until the chicken is fully cooked; cool. (It’s done when you cut into the center and there is no pink.)
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer it to a large cutting board; slice it very thinly across the grain, then
transfer it back into the pan it was cooked in to soak up the juices (the chicken can be refrigerated this way for up
to 3 days before continuing with the rest of the recipe, or you can continue after 10 minutes).
5. Coat the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat with oil. Once hot, add the sliced chicken and sauté until
crispy and golden brown (you may need to sauté the chicken in two or three batches so the pan isn’t overcrowded).
6. Spread some Garlic Mayonnaise in the center of each piece of bread; add some chicken and pickles (and any other
vegetables you like) and roll it up.
7. Toast the sandwiches on a dry griddle or a ﬂat sandwich press so that the bread gets golden brown and slightly crispy.
Serve as is, or cut into small rounds; serve with additional Garlic Mayonnaise for dipping.